You will need:
- Your chosen Caffetiera. We like the original aluminium Bialetti variants
- Fresh water
- Enough freshly ground coffee- not quite espresso fine to fill the central filter
- Fill the lower chamber with fresh water
- Completely fill the central filter chamber with freshly ground coffee- no need to tamp
- Twist the top and bottom chambers together until a tight seal is made (don’t use the handle). Failure to secure the two chambers fully could result in a failed brew and potential mess!
- Place the caffetiera on your heat source over very low heat. (optional- add a little cold water to the top chamber or wrap it with a cold towel. We have even experimented with an ice cube! Overheating is the enemy of great coffee)
- When the coffee starts brewing, lower the heat to absolute minimum and as soon as you hear some noise, turn the heat off entirely.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Allow your stovetop espresso maker time to cool before you break it down for cleaning. You don’t want to burn yourself.
Here are the basics: