We service and repair all espresso machines and grinder brands we sell, but regret we cannot offer parts, service nor support for some brands of espresso machine. We don’t service appliance/superauto machines such as Saeco, De Longhi, Jura, Breville, Sunbeam, Lelit or Nespresso. You may be best to contact the local offices of the manufacturer for service advice on these brands.
Well maintained equipment will give a lifetime of reliable service and produce superb coffee. There are some simple maintenance tasks which you should incorporate into your routine to best look after your equipment. Check out our maintenance guide.
We recommend that your machine be serviced 6-12 monthly (office machines), or at 18-24 month intervals in home use situations. If a home use machine has received our service, it should be fine for up to 2 years. Our highly qualified technicians will ensure that your machine will be returned to you clean and operating like (or better than) new! When regular service is skipped, components which would normally be lubricated will wear more rapidly. Other maintenance will likely be missed. The result overall will be increased costs due to premature failure of some parts and seals.
Your grinder hopper should be cleaned each week and the grind chamber should be cleaned every 2-3 months. We also service grinders.
Time for a service?
- Is this an emergency service? Melbourne is in currently in lockdown. If you are beyond 15km from us and your service is not an emergency service: i.e your machine is operational, please stay at home and postpone your booking until we are all released from lockdown.
- Make a booking for your service. Our next availability is for dropoff on 28 – 30 October
- All espresso equipment received for service must be accompanied by our service authorisation form. Please affix it to your machine.
- We will not accept a machine for service without a written authorisation.
The bonuses of espresso machine service with Talk Coffee
- Warranty: 3 month warranty on parts replaced during your repair or service (excluding consumables)
- We’re highly trained: We’re highly experienced and perform service and repair work to the highest of standards. No token repairs nor corner-cutting.
- We’ll estimate your costs: Repairs can be expensive. We can estimate the cost of your service when we see you and your machine. If you’re looking for quick, cheap service, we’re not for you.
- Quick turnaround: We complete the overwhelming majority of service tasks within 5 working days.
- We care: We want your machine to produce the best coffee possible and will do our utmost to ensure it does. We’re enthusiasts too!
What do I need to do before my service?
- Empty the tank of your machine and then return it to the machine. We need you to bring the tank with you…. If your machine has an external controller which is not part of our current range (eg: early Rocket R58), please bring that too.
Did we remind you to bring the tank? Bring the tank with you!
- If your machine is set to plumbed in mode, please set it back to tank mode.
- Please give your machine a token clean! Our technicians dislike dead cockroaches, grease, long-term buildup and mould as much as you do!
- Leave the extra bits at home because if it can fall off and be misplaced, chances are it may well! Just bring your machine complete with tank if applicable. We don’t service cartons and packaging, portafilters, drip trays, cup guards and tank covers, so there is no need to include them- with one exception: If you have a La Marzocco GS3 or Linea mini, please bring the drip tray as well.
- Download our service authorisation form and attach it to your machine. We will not accept a machine for service or repair without a completed authorisation.
FAQ of espresso machine service. Please read these before you deliver your espresso machine to us.
- I think I might need a warranty repair. If you believe that your machine may require any warranty issues attended to, it’s essential that you discuss your case with us before appointing any service agent. Our warranty conditions can be found here. Please either call or contact us prior to any warranty service of your machine as we cannot provide cover for unauthorised service.
- How do I find you? Talk Coffee is located here
- When are you open? We are the little business that can. Our trading hours are variable (sometimes we have to be on the road). Check our opening hours before you head to us.
- What days do you accept espresso machines for service? Service drop-offs are accepted from Thursday to Saturday during our published trading hours.
- Do I need to make a service booking? Yes. We will not accept your equipment without a booking. This ensures we manage our workload and that service and repairs are completed promptly.
What do you do when you service my machine?
Basic service: (Typically 2.0 hours) includes:
- Visual inspection of externals- including gauges and globes. Note and report any items of concern
- Visual inspection of boiler (a fail would require a platinum service)
- Visual inspection of main pipework for corrosion or evidence of scale or corrosion (a fail would require a platinum service)
- Visual inspection of element for seal at boiler and water leakage at terminals (a fail would require a platinum service)
- Visual inspection of mushroom/ mushroom cavity/group valves for scaling. Brush and flush as required
- Further inspection for descale if required (a fail would require a platinum service)
- Inspect and clean autofill probe
- Install service kit of all typical consumables for group, mushroom and steam/hot water valves. Measure group valves against new and either shim or replace as required. Reprofile or replace leva cam if required
- Inspect and replace anti-vac o-ring. Replace entire valve if required
- Lubricate/check microswitch engagement
- Remove, clean and reinstall dispersion disk. Replace if required
- Steam clean of machine externals
- Scace test for operating pressure and normal pump ramp. Adjust if required
- Bench test min 2 hours. Monitor upper boiler pressure and adjust/replace pressurestat/PID if required
- Minor repairs as required
Major (Platinum) service (>2.5 hours) includes basic service PLUS:
- attend to any basic service fail items
- descale if required
- electrical and/or plumbing repairs as required
- extended bench test (generally overnight)
- major repairs as required
- deep clean of your machine (steam, detergent and/or solvent as required)
We can provide a verbal (rough) estimate when you drop your machine off for service or if you wish, a more accurate estimate can be provided for $80. This rolls into your service charges should you proceed with service. It is surrendered should you decide against a service. Our labour rate for 2021 will remain at $130 p/h inc. GST charged in 0.25 hour increments. Our tech staff are very highly qualified and we compensate them accordingly.
And if I don’t ask for a quote?
We’ll commence the works and assuming no surprises, we’ll send an invoice for payment once the works are complete. If there are any surprises we’ll call, SMS or email you. Should you decide to cease the job when partially complete, you are liable for all parts and labour to that point and to “close up” on your machine.
We’ll let you know your machine is ready for a pick up via by emailing an invoice with links for payment to you. Please wait 7 working days from drop offs prior to contacting us for updates. If we’re on the phone to you, we’re not doing repairs!
When can I collect my serviced gear?
Your invoice will provide details for collection. If you have settled your invoice using a card payment, you’re good to go! For payments made via PayID, Osko or Pay Anyone services, we regret that we cannot release your machine until we have cleared funds to our account. We are finding that some Osko instant payments are far from instant and whilst the majority clear rapidly, they can take up to two days with some banks. We acknowledge that these delays can be frustrating for all parties.
All service and repairs must be collected within 1 week of completion of works after which we will apply a storage charge of $40/week. Should any equipment be left unclaimed in our workshop for over 1 calendar month and our phone and email contact attempts be ignored, ownership of the equipment will automatically transfer to Talk Coffee. The equipment will be sold or parted out to recover costs.
In general, we would advise against this. We frequently spend lots of time repairing damage done by well-intentioned owners. In addition, 230V power is lethal, so if you’re not qualified, best leave things to someone who is! If you are remote and a client of Talk Coffee, we may be able to provide you with some phone advice but regret that we cannot legally provide you with a how to guide for anything more than a spanner or screwdriver.
Do you offer same day/rapid service for interstate clients?
We will try our very best. Please provide us with plenty of advance notice so that we can discuss the services required to ascertain if this is possible.
Can I send my machine to you?
Yes, but we will not accept any liability for any damage incurred in transit to or from us. We cannot arrange freight for machines delivered without original packaging. Contact us for a quote on return transport.
But I’m not in Melbourne!
- For those in the vicinity of Geelong and the Surf Coast, we highly recommend Peter Cairis of Coffee Physics. Peter is located in Geelong and offers service and support for all commercial equipment and domestic gear as well. Peter also offers a pickup and drop-off service for those with prosumer equipment
- If you’re in Brisbane, we recommend Gael and Jane at Espresso Breakdown
- In Sydney, we recommend Espresso Company Australia and Di Bartoli Rosebery Coffee Hub
- In Perth, we recommend Dimattina Coffee WA in Osborne Park
- Hobart, Adelaide and regional? We have recommended service techs in many areas around Australia. Call or contact us for assistance.
What about the brands you can’t service?
- For those in Melbourne, Coffee Machine Services can service and repair Saeco, Jura and DeLonghi
- Espressofix can repair Gaggia, Saeco and Lelit.
We offer comprehensive services for all espresso machine brands we sell as well as many other e-61 machines. We also stock a range of commonly required parts.
Do you do on-site or in home repairs?
Sorry, but we regret we cannot offer this service as our service is thorough and extensive. Our opinion is that this work needs to be done properly or there are frequently items which are omitted or overlooked.