Well maintained equipment will give a lifetime of reliable service and produce superb coffee. There are some simple maintenance tasks which you should incorporate into your routine to best look after your equipment. Check out our maintenance guide.
We recommend that your machine be serviced 12 month (office machines), or 18 month – 2 year intervals. If a home use machine has received our Platinum service, it should be fine for up to 2 years. Our highly qualified technicians will ensure that your machine will be returned to you clean and operating like new! When regular service is skipped, components which would normally be lubricated will wear more rapidly. Other maintenance will likely be missed. The result overall will be increased costs due to premature failure of some parts and seals.
Your grinder hopper should be cleaned each week and the grind chamber should be cleaned every 2-3 months. We also service grinders.
Brands we service and those we can’t service:
We service and repair all espresso machines and grinder brands we sell, but regret we cannot offer parts, service nor support for some brands of espresso machine. We don’t service appliance/superauto machines nor Lelit, nor Nespresso. You may be best to contact the local offices of the manufacturer for service advice on these brands.
- For those in Melbourne, Coffee Machine Services can service and repair Saeco, Jura and DeLonghi
- Espressofix can repair Gaggia, Saeco and Lelit.
Time for a service?
Make a booking for service.
All espresso equipment delivered for service must be accompanied by our Espresso equipment service authorisation form.
We offer comprehensive services for all espresso machine brands we sell as well as many other e-61 machines. We also stock a range of commonly required parts.
But I’m not in Melbourne!
- For those in the vicinity of Geelong and the Surf Coast, we highly recommend Peter Cairis of Coffee Physics. Peter is located in Geelong and offers service and support for all commercial equipment and domestic gear as well. Peter also offers a pickup and drop-off service for those with prosumer equipment
- If you’re in Brisbane, we recommend Gael and Jane at Espresso Breakdown
- In Sydney, we recommend Espresso Company Australia and Di Bartoli Rosebery Coffee Hub
- In Perth, we recommend Dimattina Coffee WA in Osborne Park
- Hobart, Adelaide and regional? We have recommended service techs in many areas around Australia. Call or contact us for assistance.
The bonuses of espresso machine service with Talk Coffee
- Warranty: 3 month warranty on parts replaced during your repair or service (excluding consumables)
- We’re highly trained: We’re highly experienced and perform service and repair work to the highest of standards. No token repairs nor corner-cutting.
- We’ll estimate your costs: Repairs can be expensive. We can estimate the cost of your service when we see you and your machine.
- Quick turnaround: We complete the overwhelming majority of service tasks within 5 working days.
- We care: We want your machine to produce the best coffee possible and will do our utmost to ensure it does. We’re enthusiasts too!
FAQ of espresso machine service. Please read these before you deliver your espresso machine to us.
- I think I might need a warranty repair. If you believe that your machine may require any warranty issues attended to, it’s essential that you discuss your case with us before appointing any service agent. Our warranty conditions can be found here. Please either call or contact us prior to any warranty service of your machine as we cannot provide cover for unauthorised service.
- How do I find you? Talk Coffee is located here
- When are you open? We are the little business that can. Our trading hours are variable (sometimes we have to be on the road). Check our opening hours before you head to us.
- What days do you accept espresso machines for service? We ask that your machine be delivered to us between Thursday and Saturday so that we can complete your works in the following week.
- Do I need to make a service booking? Yes. We will not accept your equipment without a booking. This ensures we manage our workload and that service and repairs are completed promptly.
- What do I need to do before I bring my machine in?
1. Empty the tank of your machine
2. Please give your machine a token clean! Our technicians dislike dead cockroaches, grease, long-term buildup and mould as much as you do!
3. Leave the extra bits at home. Just bring your machine complete with tank if applicable. We don’t service cartons and packaging, portafilters, drip trays and tank covers, so there is no need to include them- with one exception: If you have a La Marzocco GS3 or Linea mini, please bring the drip tray as well.
4. Download our Espresso equipment service authorisation form and attach it to your machine. This will save you the time required to fill one out on arrival. We will not accept a machine for service or repair without a completed authorisation.
What do you do when you service my machine?
Owners can choose between Bronze and Platinum service:
Where a machine is young (<5 years old), not used in a commercial office, has been run on coffee quality filtered, softened water and has been serviced previously by us, a bronze service may be appropriate. The machine would show zero or minimal scale on inspection and have no reported faults.
Bronze service: (1 hour) includes:
- disassemble, backflush and lubrication of group components, valves and wands. Retain seals where possible
- top of boiler inspection
- minor extra cost repairs or parts as required
- rapid bench test (1-2 hours)
- quick clean (steam only)
Platinum service (1.5 -2.0 hours) includes:
- descale (at extra cost if required)
- wire brush and flush mushroom cavity
- wire brush mushroom
- disassemble group- lubricate and refinish/replace wear components where required
- disassemble valve assemblies, replace seals and machine wear surfaces if necessary
- disassemble lever assembly, replace seals, refinish cam surface or replace as necessary, lubricate
- wire brush dispersion disc/mushroom if necessary, remove and soak if necessary
- lubricate/check microswitch engagement
- electrical safety and pressure checks
- bench test (generally overnight)
- parts and minor or major repairs at additional charge as required
- thorough cleaning of your machine (steam or solvent as required)
We can provide a verbal (rough) estimate when you drop your machine off for service or if you wish, a more accurate estimate can be provided for $80. This rolls into your service charges should you proceed with service. It is surrendered should you decide against a service. In general, factor around 1.5-2 hours for a platinum service (descale can add an hour or more) + parts and then allow additional time for any required repairs. Our labour rate for 2019 will remain at $130 p/h inc. GST charged in 0.25 hour increments. Our tech staff are highly qualified and we compensate them accordingly.
And if I don’t ask for a quote?
We’ll commence the works and assuming no surprises, we’ll send an invoice for payment once the works are complete. If there are any surprises we’ll call you. Should you decide to cease the job when partially complete, you are liable for all parts and labour to that point and to “close up” on your machine.
We’ll let you know your machine is ready for a pick up via by emailing an invoice with links for payment to you. Please wait 7 working days from drop offs prior to contacting us for updates. If we’re on the phone to you, we’re not doing repairs!
Do you do on-site or in home repair?
Sorry, but we regret we cannot offer this service. If you have a plumbed in or a heavy machine we may be able to refer you a local mobile technician.
All service and repairs must be collected within 1 week of completion of works after which we will apply a storage charge of $40/week. Should any equipment be left unclaimed in our workshop for over 1 calendar month and our phone and email contact attempts be ignored, ownership of the equipment will automatically transfer to Talk Coffee. The equipment will be sold or parted out to recover costs.
In general, we would advise against this. We frequently spend lots of time repairing damage done by well-intentioned owners. In addition, 230V power is lethal, so if you’re not qualified, best leave things to someone who is! If you are remote and a client of Talk Coffee, we may be able to provide you with some phone advice but regret that we cannot legally provide you with a how to guide for anything more than a spanner or screwdriver.
Do you offer same day/rapid service for interstate clients?
We will try our very best. Please provide us with plenty of advance notice so that we can discuss the services required to ascertain if this is possible.
Can I send my machine to you?
Yes, but we will not accept any liability for any damage incurred in transit to or from us. We cannot arrange freight for machines delivered without original packaging. Contact us for a quote on return transport.
Customise my machine or Soup me up? For those looking for the best performance from your machine, we offer pump pressure calibration and we also have a Scace II device, used to monitor group temperature during the course of a shot. An upgrade can assist hot running older machines by reducing or eliminating a cooling shot and in some cases, improving group temperature as well. Other modifications such as custom finishes, swapping the side of wands and PID fitment can also be arranged for many machines.