Type B appliances- Gas fired coffee roasters
The Gas Safety Act defines a Type B appliance as an appliance (including a second-hand appliances) with gas consumption in excess of 10MJ/h, including any components and fittings downstream of and including the appliance manual shut-off valve. Gas fired coffee roasters are considered to be type B appliances and all states have regulations for their installation.
Talk Coffee can place you in contact with type B gas technicians in Victoria and Tasmania to arrange installation and type B certification of your gas coffee roaster. In our experience installation and type B certification are generally upwards of $2k and can be more depending on the complexity of flues and gas supply.
Acceptance procedure for Type B appliances and complex gas installations
Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) has a procedure to be followed by all persons wishing to install, modify or commission new or second hand Type B appliances or carry out complex gas installation work. All other states have similar authorities and requirements.
Full details of ESV’s application and acceptance process along with requisite forms are located in the ESV Gas installations pages. The steps include:
- Ensure that all relevant information has been supplied a month prior to gas being required
- Ensure the information has been accepted before commissioning of gas is required
- Ensure an ESV Start Work / Compliance Notice has been submitted at least 48 hours prior to gas being required for commissioning
- At least seven days before hand-over of the appliance to the customer, ensure that an appointment has been made with an ESV inspector to witness any required tests
- When accepted by the ESV, an appliance will be allocated an acceptance label. This must be attached to the appliance before handing over to the consumer
- Any installation of a Type B appliance is a “complex gas installation”. ESV Start Work / Compliance Notices must be provided for both the consumer piping installation and the appliance
- Special conditions apply for steel welding work, fusion jointing of polyethylene pipe, hot tapping and installation work over 200kPa gas pressure.